MARRIAGE LICENSE LAWS AND REQUIREMENTS IN TEXAS
1. Both parties MUST be at least 18 years of age. (Minimum age to apply in Texas is 16. Ages 16-17 must apply to the courts for approval and have parental consent)
2. There is a 72 hour waiting period after receiving the license before the wedding may be performed. (This may be waived for military persons and those that take the Twogether course in Texas. I do not do the Twogether counseling but you may go to TwogetherinTexas and find out).
3. Both parties MUST apply in person at the county clerk's office with proof of identification as well as a Social Security Number. The only valid ID's that are accepted are a driver’s license, United States passport, a certified copy of your birth certificate, a U.S. military ID card, and social security number.
4. The license may be gotten in any county in Texas and used in any county in Texas.
5. You do not have to be a resident of Texas to get the license.
6. The license is valid for 90 days before expiring giving you plenty of time to get married and is only good in Texas.
7. The license must be returned within 10 days by the person performing the ceremony. So this means that you cannot take or mail the license in yourself. I must be the one to do so. I can send by regular mail for FREE or I can mail priority for $30.
8. Texas does not require a blood test or medical test to get the license.
9. Proxy marriages are no longer legal or allowed in Texas.
10. Texas does allow prisoners to marry a person from the outside. Prisoners may not marry another prisoner or guard. (Please see Prison Weddings for complete information and the process)
11. If recently divorced, there is a 30 day waiting period before you can remarry. (May be waived under extenuating circumstances)
12. Same-sex marriages are allowed in Texas.
13. You may not marry a cousin.
14. Texas does not require pre-marital counseling. You may, however do the Twogether course. Taking this course gives you a $60 discount on wedding license, and waives the 3 day waiting period. (I do not provide this course. You may go to their website for more information).
15. Costs for the license vary from county to county. As do the designs and graphics on the license. Galveston County has a beautiful one.